Calvin Men's Soccer Edges Chicago in Meeting of Nationally-Ranked Foes

Calvin Men's Soccer Edges Chicago in Meeting of Nationally-Ranked Foes

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The seventh-ranked Calvin men's soccer team claimed a dramatic 2-1 victory over fourth-ranked Chicago Wednesday evening at Zuidema Field.

The Knights improve to 9-1-0 with the victory and have now wait eight straight games. Wednesday's game marked the fourth-ever meeting between Calvin and Chicago with the Maroons winning in 2017 in the NCAA III Sectional Semifinals and again in a regular season game at Calvin last fall. Calvin then picked up a 4-1 victory over Chicago in the NCAA III Tournament National Semifinals in December and evened the all-time series with Wednesday's win.

Calvin grabbed the first half lead in the 20th minute with a highlight reel goal by freshman Christopher Schau (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grand Rapids Christian HS) in the 20th minute. Senior Ian Adams (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grand Rapids Christian HS) sent a cross to the left wing that freshman Ethan Harvey (Naperville, Il./Naperville North HS) one-timed to the top of the box. Schau was able to head the one-timer from Harvey back across to the far post. The header by Schau curled up and over a back-pedalling Chicago goalkeeper Aaron Katsimpalis into the back of the net.

The Knights continued to press for another score and found gold with just 3:06 left in the first half as seniors Hunter Olson (Plymouth, Mich./Canton HS) and Jacob Lyon (Holt, Mich./Lansing Christian HS) combined on a one-two combination just outside the six-yard box with Lyon finishing the play by blasting home his second goal of the season.

Trailing 2-0, Chicago (3-1-4) pressed the offensive attack. With just over 18 minutes left in regulation, junior goalkeeper Chris Morrish (Bradenton, Fla./Saint Stephen's Episcopal School) retired to the bench with an injury. Less than a minute later, Chicago scored on a cross into the box that sprung Bryce Millington free for a short poke-in goal.

A Calvin player was whistled for his second yellow card 30 seconds later, forcing the Knights to play the final 16:54 of regulation a man down.

With just over five minutes left in regulation, Chicago appeared to score the tying goal but the apparent equalizer was waved off by an off-sides call.

The Knights then maintained a sturdy defense over the final five minutes to pull out the pulse-pounding victory.

Calvin finished with a 10-6 shots at goal advantage. Chicago was whistled for 18 fouls with Calvin whistled for 15. Morrish went the first 71:49 of regulation with freshman Daniel Wunder (Grand Rapids, Mich./Grand Rapids Christian HS) going the final 18:11 to seal the victory. Wunder picked up a save and snared a pair of dangerous crosses into the box in the closing minute of play.

COACHES COMMENT: "I'm incredibly proud of our group tonight," said Calvin men's soccer coach Ryan Souders. "Chicago is one of the best teams in the country and our guys fought through just about everything. I thought we played really well in the first half and then just found a way to hold them off in the second half. Credit Daniel (Wunder), too, for coming in, in that moment and doing a job for us. We'll need to rest up quickly as we are on the road this weekend."

NEXT UP: Calvin will travel to Manchester University on Saturday for a 4 p.m. non-conference match.